Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Let's get creative!!

I teach creative art classes and I have been working with some amazing people over the last few years. Probably not the kind of people you would imagine right of the top of your head. No, I have been working with mainly people who are slowly loosing their memory. They can sing me songs (and often do) from their childhood, but can't remember how they even got to class. Or have been in my class for several months, and yet, tell me this is the very first time they have attended. I love these people. Talk about living in the moment. One guy who has been the breadwinner in his family forever, and has really never did much art in his past, is always eager to create. He is usually the first to finish his project, it's amazing. Today I watched him hold up his piece and just stare at it. That's the best part I think as a teacher. When a student does something they personally can admire.

I really do believe art is for everyone. Ya...I know what you're saying, "you're not an artist, you can't draw a straight line, you're not creative"...gosh I know so many excuses because I've used them myself, probably still do. But for some reason art has a hold on my soul. I can't stop wanting to play art.

Do you feel like that? Do you ever feel you want to paint, draw, or write but aren't talented or good enough? Your soul needs to express itself. You have something you need to say in a creative way. Let it happen. Let it happen in it's awkward, not so perfect way.

Have you ever looked at a multimillion dollar piece of work and thought? WHAT????? WHY??? Everyone has their own style, their own approach. Now yours and my work may never fetch that kind of cash, BUT...we can still express ourselves...and by doing just that, we are opening ourselves up to something so magical we could rule the world with it.

As a VERY small side note (MOST of those famous artists never saw all the money their work made. Just saying. But they still carried on).

 "It took me 4 years to paint like Raphael but a lifetime to paint like a child" -Pablo Picasso

Come with me on a journey. You might feel like you're doing a project a child might do? Really??? Lucky you! Let's have some fun! Let's let ourselves go and just cut, paste, draw, and paint like a three year old.  Have you EVER seen a three year old color? So uninhibited, they could care LESS what others think. They KNOW they have colored they best picture ever.

Play, have fun, learn about yourself, find your style....what a journey this is going to be!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment